Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Houston > Dallas > El Paso > Los Angeles > Redding > Portland

Tuesday, January 15, 2007 - I stayed with my roomies Greg and Melissa in Dallas for a couple days while I attended some meetings at work. While in Dallas, I had possibly the worst canine experience of my life. On Friday I was at Greg and Mel's putting my socks on. Their dogs, Rando and Tough Guy, thought it would be fun to chase around the socks as I put them on, so I humored them and teased them with the sock a little. I remember Greg telling me a few months back that Tough Guy isn't the most accurate dog when going for a toy, and that he can chomp down on your finger if you're not careful. I wish I would have remembered this. So at one point, the sock I guess was in front of my jeans. Tough Guy apparently had enough of this little game and was simply determined to take the sock from me. He flew across the room, he overshot and his mouth went right past the sock, and he chomped down on my finger. If only this were the worst part. As I said, the sock was, um, let's say, right in front of the zipper of my jeans. And let's just say that his momentum carried him forward and he didn't stop his bite on my finger. I felt like I was in Something About Mary. Tough Guy chomped down on a part of a me that no dog should ever be near, and he didn't let go for a couple seconds. He drew a little blood. I was not happy with Tough Guy on Friday.

I drive 10 hours to El Paso on Saturday and stayed with cuzzie and Monique; it just so happened to be Monique's birthday so we all went out and had a blast. I drove 10 hours Sunday to Los Angeles, then about 8 hours to Redding, CA on Monday. This drive turned out to be beautiful, as I was eventually surrounded by mountain ranges on all sides of me; yet there was lush, green grass everywhere. Monday night I went to Chipotle to get some betterish fast food, and ended up talking to a couple guys in line that are currently getting their Masters in Theology. They suggested a school in Portland that I need to check out (George Fox university). Tuesday, I passed through Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta - this was completely unexpected land that was absolutely beautiful. The elevation of I-5 at this point was 3,000 feet, but the peak of Mt. Shasta is 14,000 feet.. This was a striking site while driving down the road.

And now, I am back in Portland.. Ana comes back tomorrow, and I can't wait to see her. I had no idea what to expect on my pacific trek, but it worked out quite well. I have no idea what to expect going forward here either, but I can't wait to find out.































The weenis monger on the left

Heaven shines on itself

Arriving in El Paso - the sun setting over Mexico

A heavy fog during my drive in Arizona

Redding

Lake Shasta

Lake Shasta

Driving up to Mt. Shasta

Driving up to Mt. Shasta

Mt. Shasta

Mt. Shasta

Mt. Shasta

Mt. Shasta
 

No comments: