Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Portland II

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - Friday another of our cousins, Bryan, flew in from El Paso. Friday night we met some of his friends that live here and went to a couple bars. Greg had Bryan and I in tears for most of the night - I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Saturday Greg and Jeff had tickets for all of us to "Superdiamond" - a Neil Diamond cover band.. Yes, Neil Diamond. But it was more than a cover band, it was an act.. The lead singer comes out and he is Neil Diamond. He had the studded black vest on with rhinestones and tassles, he sounded like him, looked like him, everything. It was hilarious. The concert was at The Crystal Ballroom, which is on the 2nd floor of a building and has a floor intentionally built to bounce when people start dancing.

Afterwards we went to the bar where Ana and her friends were. There are so many of her friends here that they more or less take over the bar and the DJ. They played Brazilian music all night and just have a blast. This party feels unlike any other party I've been to in America.. The point is simply to have fun and celebrate life. It's not about getting drunk, it's not about hooking up, it's just about having fun. Ana taught me (or tried at least) some dances; I thoroughly sucked but still had a complete blast. We were there dancing until 3:00AM, which I believe is actually a somewhat early night for their parties. I was planning on leaving Sunday but Ana mentioned if I happened to stay in town we could maybe do something. Ana and I really clicked and I decided to stay in Portland a little longer.










Greggy and me at Superdiamond

Me, Jeff, and Bryan at Superdiamond

Ana and me at the party
 

No comments: