Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Half Moon Bay II

Monday, December 2, 2007 - Portland was dumping snow when I left Saturday; luckily it wasn't sticking or that would have made for an interesting drive. Drove about 10 and a half hours from Portland to Half Moon Bay on Saturday.. Arrived to my trusty ole campsite but the gate was closed, as I arrived hours after dark. I parked outside the gate and lugged all my stuff to my site.. I'd only been working on setting up my tent for maybe 60 seconds when I woman came over and asked if I needed a hand. I told her I'd be fine, but she insisted that she at least point her flashlight on my site so I could see better, so I accepted. Within another 60 seconds, her husband, son, and son's friend were at my site with an array of lanterns and flashlights, and the kids (in high school) basically insisted on helping me get my tent up. Of course I've done this plenty by now but humored them and accepted the help. They then invited me over to their site, which had quite a nice campfire going, and sit in their chair and drink a couple of their beers.

Annie (the mom) and Mike (dad) were, coincidentally, originally from Portland (now in Cali). In a funny turn of events though, Annie is a hard core Christian and very involved in her Church ministry. I told her I found Portland to be beautiful, there's so much to do: the mountains are near, the Pacific is near, the architecture is unique, there's a huge music scene, venues abounding, but while most of the people in the city are generally considerate, I found it to be a bit politically hostile - at least for someone who's not necessarily in agreement with the masses there. I may of course be wrong, but this was just the vibe I got. In any case, Annie finished my sentence when I told her of my impression. "It's a very liberal, very open-minded and accepting place ... As long a-" "As long as you agree with them!" She cut in. We did however joke about how funny it would be if I were to attend Seminary in Portland.

I spent hours with Annie, Mike, their son Justin and his friend Stevie. Stevie is 17 going on 30. A horribly, horribly mature kid.

A fantastic stay indeed. Tomorrow I drive to San Clemente, where I will spend about a week before coming back to Texas.

No comments: