Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Houston

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - I made it back to Houston on Sunday in one piece.

One thing seemed profoundly clear when I returned.. Where I'm from (The Woodlands) is a very nice place, it's comfortable, the houses are nice, the people live well here, the people are nice.. But, staying within this little cultural bubble isn't reality. There's a whole country out there waiting to be explored, and it's our rights as Americans to see it. There's a whole world out there that's waiting to be explored, and it's our rights as humans to see it.

For me, I very much feel like this trek marked the closing of one chapter of my life and the opening of the next. One cool thing about this trek is that it was impossible for me to think about the future.. It was quite futile to try; I was jumping from place to place every other day, having no idea what kind of land, town, or people awaited me. But I believe that way of thinking works out beautifully.

Ana returns to Portland in mid-January, and I'll be there waiting for her. From there, I don't know what will happen, but I will continue this new chapter of my life in the same mindset I learned from my trek. Like Aghila said, "When the mind is silent, the universe surrenders itself to you."










Pubey

Dirty Steve

Kram

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unpredictability or not knowing what's going to happen next makes life more exciting. Feliz Navidad, Lo'c.

Redbendad said...

Wonderful!

"The once narrow path became a never-ending field of choice."
(c) Michael Dennis Williams 1970