Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

San Clemente IX

Thursday, December 6, 2007 - Yesterday I saw my friend Rick from the last time I was here.. We talked for a couple hours about theology (of course), science, politics. He has, if I remember right, about 3 degrees in the field of science; one of which was in the realm of climatology. He was very interesting to talk with on the subject of global warming, of which he believes is almost becoming a new religion (something he's not very happy about). This guy is truly open-minded in the real sense. The last time I was here I remember he was reading a book written by a staunch atheist. This time he was reading "What's So Great About Christianity?" - a theological rebuttal to the atheist's book. But this, to me, is the true embodiment of open-mindedness - actually listening to both sides of the argument. A fascinating guy to talk to indeed.

As the week has wore on here I think I've started realizing something.. When I first set out on my trek I was still in the healing process; in the aftermath of everything that had happened in my marriage. When I was last here, I felt like everything I was doing, seeing, and experiencing were somehow necessary. And I ate it up. But now, that feeling of dire necessity no longer seems to really be there. Of course it could just be that I've met Ana, or that I'm getting used to this, or that my mind and body are growing tired of travelling (which I doubt); but the reason that seems to jive best with me is that I've healed. I now look forward to the next chapter of my life more than anything else.




















No comments: