Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Half Moon Bay

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - It was pretty windy yesterday. A few times during the day the wind actually folded my tent over on itself, and talking on the phone was close to impossible while outside. I went to sleep around 9:00, and the wind speed must have nearly doubled what it was previously. I woke up around 10:00 as my tent was almost permanently folded down ontop of me, and it was also raining pretty hard. I tried to sleep through it, but this continued without mercy for about an hour and a half. Finally around 12:30AM I decided to inspect some things around the tent as the wind had now just about completely collapsed it ontop of me. I turned on my light and noticed there was about 1 to 2 inches of water on the floor of my tent. About 1:00AM I made the decision to abandon, move all of my stuff into my car (guitar, electronics, sleeping bags, pillow, etc), and sleep in the car as well. All told I didn't get a whole heck of a lot of sleep last night, but the good news is, at least for now, that it's a little bit calmer today.

That being said, I really do like Half Moon Bay. It's another of places towns with total small town charm and great scenery ontop of it. When I arrived here Monday I saw a man opening a car door for an older woman. I thought that was nice. Then I saw the woman thank him and the man walk into the starbucks afterwards. The two didn't even know each other. Yesterday I saw a woman open the door to starbucks for a man. I'm not sure if I've ever seen either of these things happen before, but I love seeing stuff like that.

So far it's been pretty foggy here the majority of the time, and there is usually some type of weather happening. The waves here are pretty big as well, generally over-head.
























People down the beach disappear into the fog

Foggy surf

My campsite as the fog rolls in; the ocean is actually just feet beyond the hill but invisible due to the fog


My campsite without fog

My campsite was literally about 25 feet from the beach


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know it rained in California, I thought it was always sunny. Are you saying people are more genuine there?

I mean, I live here in Dallas, but on weekends I make it to Greenville where to me it is more genuine than this large city. Over here, you have to pay a large fee to join a well know club to play a common sport....over there, hec you know you can just call your friends from down the street and play a game..who cares that it is only 4 or 5 guys and it's not like you have to have a running back, a quarterback, all the linemen, tight end...etc..many times the less formality the more fun life gets..it gets interesting that's for sure. That area to where you at, seems to be more like that..less formal and more laid back and somehow just if not more interesting than following rules that have been laid out by who knows who. Have a great time!

Bundt said...

I think it's less that the people here are "more genuine" than in Texas, and more of the following:

1) I hadn't travelled enough to really know what's out there..
2) Small towns are where it's at.
3) I think Texans may have california stereotyped as "fake".
4) I don't think the world is quite as bad as some make it out to be.

Anonymous said...

For sure, this world is just fine how it is... I actually love it to tell you the truth, the diversity both in nature and how our social skills are. I mean if we really stop and think about it there really are no limits, sometimes just testing the boundaries of reality is fun. Just like your doing it. I saw the California chics you took photos off..you dawg!