Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Napa II

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - My folks and I spent the rest of the week wine tasting. The rest of the wineries we visited were mainly smaller boutique wineries. I think we are all in agreement that this is the way to go. Each of them have a fantastic cozy, family feeling, the wines are superb (and not available anywhere else), and the people are informal and unpretentious.

Last Friday a band called Vinyl was in San Fran. My friend Justin and I have been talking about seeing them for about 8 years now, but the band rarely makes appearances outside of California, and when they do, it ain't in Texas. My parents were still in town and I told them it was necessary that we see them, however once we found out how late they were coming on, they opted out. So I had my folks drop me off at the venue, kept my mind limber with a strict regimen of White Russians, and was blown away by this 7 piece band of funk, jazz, rock, and even freestyle old-school rap. The band came on about 11:00 and took their first break at about 1:00am. I found one of the members at the bar and introduced myself. I told him I'd been waiting to see them for 8 years - he asked if I was from the area, and when I told him I was from Texas he had to ask "How did you hear about us?" A great night indeed.

Saturday my folks and I checked out Golden Gate park, where I previously saw the bluegrass festival. After feeding me a strict diet of gratuitous gourmet food each meal, cleaning my car, and even doing my laundry, my parents left Monday morning. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I am eternally lucky to have the parents I have. We don't get to choose our parents, and at many points in my life I've almost felt bad that everyone doesn't get to have parents like these. They are supportive of my sister and I no matter what path we are choosing, open-minded yet properly disciplinary, hilarious, fun to hang out with, great role models.. I could go on and on.























Turnbull Winery

Turnbull

Turnbull


Country road

Me and my parents

A lone tree among a vineyard


 

No comments: