Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Patricks Point

Friday, October 26, 2007 - Yesterday I left Fort Bragg and drove about 3 and a half hours to Patricks Point (is it just me or shouldn't there be an apostrophe after Patrick?) - which is about 25 miles north of Eureka, about 50 miles south of the Oregon border. Beautiful campsite, several spots with an ocean view, but the majority within forest. The trees are gigantic here, and when I arrived there was quite a constant gust of wind; I didn't know whether or not this was typical, but it made for the loudest campsite I've been at as the tall trees were constantly rustling. Since campsites are no longer in "peak season", there are no attendants; you simply pick a spot and drop your money in a box using the honor-system. I found a beautiful spot but noticed after I set up my tent that the wind was batting it around like a ragdoll. I decided to look for a spot lower in elevation that had some wind protection, which I found one that was better, but my tent was still battling the wind a pretty great deal. This was maybe the coldest night I've had, and felt more like a survival test than anything else. It was still fun though. I woke up this morning and it was dead silent.. I guess that was yet another storm that was moving in.

Tonight I will stay in my same campsite, tomorrow I plan on driving to Crater Lake in Oregon, Sunday I plan on meeting up with my uncle V.V. and his girlfriend Ceci in Bend, then I will spend about a week with my cousins Greg, Jeff, Jeff's wife Kira, and their son Beck (who I have yet to meet) in Portland. Friday my cuz Bryan is coming in as well. A fun time WILL be had by all. Oh yes, it will.



















My MacKerricher campsite

Highway 1

Farmland on highway 1

Fog rolling in behind me on highway 1

Windy campsite at Patricks Point

My driveway @ Patricks Point

My home @ Patricks Point
 

No comments: