Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Manresa

Tuesday, September 2, 2007 - My view at Manresa state beach was again incredible. Kinda figured this much when I found the park host and told him what site I was at - he responded with "Aaah, you picked the best site in the park!" Lovely.

When I arrived to my site, a girl with a surfboard was putting on her wetsuit, however I noticed all her stuff was on the picnic table, her tent, sleeping bag, etc strewn around the site. I figured she was just leaving. However as it turns out she didn't really know you're supposed to reserve these sites - she had just walked in and picked what she figured was the nicest site. However I told her I'd just reserved a bunch of sites all through the state as I was travelling up the coast, and that this isn't my land, I'm just sharing it and she could feel free to set up her tent there if she wanted to share the view. She was very different, she seemed fascinated with everything. Her response was "Woowwwww..... Thanks.." Her name is Morgan and she is a massage therapist that recently tried out for Olympic Trials in swimming. She's ranked 21st in the country in short distance, and 3rd in the world in long distance (16 mi). We spent the evening in front of the campfire talking about travels, religion (her brother is an ex-naval pilot currently at Harvard Divinity), music, culture, astronomy, and much more. The Milky Way is visible at night here, which is incredible as it extends from the eastern horizon all the way to the ocean in the western horizon. Saw 3 shooting stars that night as well. She then wanted to try sleeping outside without a tent, so she did so in her sleeping bag ontop of the picnic table. She gave me her info and offered her couch if I'm ever in Berkely. I left for work at 6:00AM and she was still sleeping on the picnic table.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned, or at least curious to see if all my stuff was still at my site when I got back. She seemed trustworthy enough but it was kind of an odd situation to begin with. Had a really long day at work and didn't get back until about 6:30PM or so. Everything was still there. In fact, I looked in my box of wood and there was actually more wood in there than when I left. I inspected each of the new pieces of wood and noticed they were all partially used.. Apparently she went around to a bunch of sites while I was gone, gathered wood, and left it for me. Very interesting girl for sure.







The view from my tent

Goodnight Manresa.

No comments: