Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Leo Carrillo/Ventura Harbor

Friday, September 21, 2007 - Camped out at Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu last night. No view of the beach there, however tons of forest with huge trees hanging over each campsite. Arrived to perfectly clear skies, and for the first time on my journey I didn't put my rain tarp on my tent. Woke up at 5:30AM to rain for the first time on my journey.

Made it to Ventura Harbor by 7:00AM for my 8:00AM departure to the island of Santa Rosa in the Channel Islands - about 20 miles or so off the coast. Ate at a cool little breakfast spot called Christy's, filled mostly with locals. I'm only an hour and half away from San Clemente but already the scenery and people are completely different (not in a bad way). I feel like I'm in a port town in the northeast or something. Everyone here so far is some sort of fisherman or sailer, and apparently huge beards are a requirement here.

This morning was one of the most vivid sunrises I've ever seen. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pics as I was driving and trying to find the harbor. More to come..

No comments: