Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

South Carlsbad

Took my kayak out to the ocean yesterday.. I've kayaked in Galveston, but apparently that did not prepare me for the waves here in any way whatsoever. The ocean completely knocked the crap out of me. I remember telling my friend Steve when we went to Galveston once that it would take a heck of a big wave to flip me vertically end over end while I was paddling out, and that I doubted that would ever really happen to me.. Well it didn't take too long for me to be proven wrong. I only caught one wave yesterday that I didn't crash on, and that wave was caught on accident..

Yesterday felt a bit like my kayaking experience; work was unbelievably busy, I was having trouble finding things I needed for my campsite, etc.. Basically I just couldn't get my footing. However today's been a little more manageable; we'll see what the ocean offers me in the way of kayaking after work today..

















My campsite at sunset

View from my tent

The town of Carlsbad is actually pretty charming.

My campsite at sunset

Apparenly the sun exploded when I took this picture.

This local brew - Karl Strauss - is really good..

Grilling a pacific red snapper and a baked potato; keeping warm as well

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you're having a blast. I've been checking your blog every day awaiting updates. Hope you can drive through Odessa on the way back home.

Redbendad said...

Man I love that pinkish campsite sunset picture. You've taken some great images.

I feel like I'm in touch with you again, catching up on your blogs.