Around July of '07 my marriage of 7 years came to an end.. That's a whole unbelievable (literally) blog in itself, but the point is that I've always been intrigued by interesting travels. As a programmer, I work remote and as long as I've got cel and internet connectivity with my wireless broadband card, I'm good to go. Ultimately I would like to backpack through Europe, but first, I'm taking a smaller trek out west to get a little experience with travels of larger magnitude (view my route at the right of this page). This site will be a place for me to chronicle my travels, leave some photos, and jot down any interesting things that happen that I might one day forget.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Santa Rosa Island III

Sunday, September 23, 2007 - I don't know that I've ever slept this much. After our 7 mile hike yesterday, I read for about an hour and then conked out for about 4 hours. We ate dinner, I went to sleep around 8:30, and didn't wake up until 8:00AM this morning. I exited my tent and walked over to the Ege-Chen tent to see Miss Ege dancing toward me. Apparently her ankle feels better.

But, this in a nutshell describes the both of them to me. You meet certain people that are brimming with life, the kind of people that will be going just as strong when they're 90 years old. They are the real deal. I already realized it before I came to this island, but it's almost getting to the point that it's weird how many people I'm meeting, and especially how many people I've had meaningful conversations with. Maybe once every couple of years would I normally run into a stranger at a store, restaurant, etc. and have a deep conversation with. However this is happening almost on a daily basis ever since I left. And here it is again, on an island 20 miles off the coast of california.

Today the 3 of us set out on a 5 mile hike to "Carrington Point" - another hike to a different part of the coast of the island. We ate breakfast together, at which point I finally mentioned I was going through a divorce. Needless to say this picqued their interest.. They asked for it, but I divulged basically the novel of a story that's been my past year or so all the way down the hike to the coast. I guess it's just being in a small group completely isolated from civilization, but I feel really comfortable around these people. They're generous, easy to talk to, hysterical, insightful, goofy, all wrapped in one.

We got back to camp, packed all up, and set out for the 1.5 mile hike back to the pier with all our stuff. By the time I reached the pier, I was completely tapped out of energy. I hiked about 18.5 miles this weekend. We talked all day about the all-important moment when we get on the boat and order 3 beers and 3 hotdogs. Which we did. In all actuality the hotdogs probably weren't that good, but at the time they tasted like heaven. On the boat ride back we saw ahead of us a huge flock of birds in the water. Shortly after we saw nearby what looked like white water in the middle of the ocean, however it was massive groups of dolphins on a feeding frenzy.. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of dolphins racing through and hopping out of the water. An Orca whale was spotted nearby, which apparently the dolphin saw as well and forced them to stampede off in a grand finale of sorts. I'd never seen so much marine life in the ocean before.

The 3 of us reached land and exchanged info. On my way back home I will stop in LA to see my friends again.






















Peili left, Ege right


The island of San Miguel (if I remember right) across from our island

An arch in the rocks at Carrington Point

Peili and I

The hike back up from Carrington Point

"Painted Cave" - a cave we actually entered by boat on the way back. The cave is obviously gigantic; tons of different colors naturally occuring all over the walls.


A little hard to see, but the stampede of dolphins in the water

#16 at La Super Rica off Malpas. Thanks Ege.

Superheros

No comments: